Why come on this course?
On this course you will learn how to use a wide range of tools and features for creating longer documents. You will learn how to control formatting efficiently, manage tables and graphics or manipulate large quantities of text. You will also learn how to create referencing content such as a table of contents and figures, work with footnotes and endnotes, captions, cross-references and indexes.
The course will also cover how to use sections to control formatting so that you can effectively combine portrait and landscape pages, and to utilise changing headers, footers and page numbers throughout a document. You will also see how using fields to automate document content can benefit your workflow.
This course is suitable for anyone using Microsoft Word 2010, 2013, 2016 or 2019.
Who is it for?
This course is intended for people who want to create and work with lengthy documents, collaborate with others on documents, and create forms in Microsoft Word.
- Attend the Word Introduction or have equivalent knowledge and experience.
- Be able to create, edit and format basic documents, and be able to insert simple tables and graphics.
What will I learn?
- Work more effectively by using Quick Parts and customising the Word interface, as well as utilise shortcuts
- Format and control text and resolve common formatting issues
- Work with tables and graphics to control and manage them
- Create, apply and manage styles to format documents
- Use outlining to manage document content
- Incorporate referencing tools such as tables of contents and figures; captions, cross referencing and indexes; and use footnotes and endnotes
- Work with document sections to control page setup, headers/footers and page numbering
- Use document fields and properties to manage content
- Navigating a document
- Using non breaking characters to control text wrapping
- Working with AutoText and document property Quick Parts
- Using Find and Replace options
- Customising Word
- Character and paragraph formatting
- Automatic selection techniques
- Using the Reveal Formatting pane
- Controlling paragraphs with formatting
- Inserting and updating fields
- Customising field output
- Combining fields
Working with tables and graphics
- Controlling table positioning
- Working with rows and columns
- Modifying table properties
- Using styles to format text
- Creating and modifying styles
- View styles with the Styles Area
- Printing styles
- Viewing a document’s outline
- Managing document content
- Creating and managing a table of contents
- Inserting captions and tables of figures
Further reference tools
- Cross referencing
- Working with footnotes and endnotes
- Inserting and modifying an index
Working with sections
- Creating section breaks
- Combining page setup and orientation in a document
- Newspaper columns
- Using sections to control headers, footers and page numbering