Why come on this course?
This course will give you an overview of the appraisal process and help you develop the skills you need to carry out effective and motivating appraisals. This includes the role of the appraiser on a day to day basis as well as at formal review times.
Who is it for?
This course has been designed for anyone who is responsible for appraising others and managing performance. This course can be adapted to reflect your organisations’ appraisal/performance management policy. The recommended maximum is 12 delegates.
What will I learn?
By the end of this course you will:
- Understand your role in your organisation’s appraisal/performance management process
- Know how to write effective standards and objectives
- Be able to measure success
- Be aware of the importance giving feedback at the right time
- Be familiar with a range of techniques to use when dealing with difficult situations
- Understand how to use the appraisal process to motivate and develop staff
- Know how to get the best outcome from appraisal/performance management meetings
- Know how to devise personal development plans
The appraisal process
- How appraisal systems work
- What’s expected of the appraiser
- Benefits to the organisation, managers and individuals
Setting standards and objectives
- The difference between standards and objectives
- How to make them measurable
- Creating performers: how to write relevant and rewarding objectives
Appraisal/performance management meetings
- Preparing for meetings
- Building rapport and listening skills
- Dealing with difficult situations
- Reviewing standards and objectives
- Giving and receiving feedback
- Reaching agreement
Personal development plans
- Identifying development needs
- Devising and reviewing personal development plans
What our delegates say
“The course was well-structured, it has given me good understanding of appraisals in a clear and concise manner.” – Eastern Residential Property Tribunal Service
“The thing I found most useful was clarity about all the confusing paperwork and understanding the process before and after an appraisal” - Continence Nurse, Bromley PCT