Why come on this course?
Have you ever thought “I wish I hadn’t said that” or “I wish they hadn’t said that”? Or maybe “Why do I let them get to me?” or “I just can’t get them to see my point of view”?
People are any organisation’s biggest asset. They are also the most complex. We all need to be able to communicate assertively at work and this course will introduce you to some skills and techniques to help you achieve this.
The day will be practical and participative; working towards developing an individual action plan which relates to your own situation at work.
Who is it for?
This course is designed for anyone who wants to improve their personal effectiveness at work. The recommended maximum is 12 delegates.
What will I learn?
By the end of this course you will:
- Understand the difference between passive, aggressive and assertive behaviour
- Be aware of your personal style when dealing with others
- Be able to identify the key elements of effective communication
- Understand how we respond to conflict
- Be aware of the range of strategies we can adopt to diffuse potentially difficult situations
Awareness of different styles of behaviour and their impact on others
- How assertive are you?
- Why we struggle to be assertive
- How behaviour breeds behaviour
- Key communication skills
- Barriers to effective communication
- Making the most of our personal communication style
- How to adopt a flexible approach
- Dealing with difficult situations
- How to build effective long-term relationships with colleagues
- Deciding how you can use new skills and techniques at work
- Developing a realistic action plan to help you communicate more assertively